3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Pris!

My friend Priscilla had a birthday back in September and I just had to show ya'll the cheesecake I made her. It is the best cheesecake recipe that I have ever come across. Its come out great everytime. Although I have tried cherry everytime, my favorite is blueberry so I will do that next time.


Cherry Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 350, rack in middle position.

Crust:
2 cups vanilla wafers (measure after crushing)
3/4 stick melted butter (6 tbsp.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pour melted butter and extract over cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork until evenly moistened.

Cut a circle of parchment paper (or wax) to fit inside the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.Spray pan with non stick spray, set circle in place, spray again.Dump moistened crumbs in the pan and press down over paper circle and up the sides about 1 inch thick. Stick this in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes while you prepare rest of cheesecake.

For the topping:
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
21 oz. can of cherry pie filling-I used comstock

Mix the sour cream, sugar and vanilla together. Cover and refrigerate. Set unopened can of filling in fridge for later.

Cheesecake batter:
1 cup white granulated sugar
3 eight oz packages of cream cheese at room temp.
1 cup mayonaisse
4 eggs
2 cups white chocolate chips-11 or 12 oz bag, I used Ghirdellis
2 teasp. vanilla

Place sugar in the bowl of electric mixer. Add blocks of cream cheese and the mayo, and whip it up at medium speed til its smooth. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.Melt white chips in microwave safe bowl stirring at 15 second intervals until smooth.Cool for minute or two and then mix in gradually at slow speed. Scrape down bowl and add vanilla mixing it thoroughly.Pour batter on chilled crust, set the pan on a cookie sheet to catch drips and bake at 350 for 55 minutes. Remove from oven but DONT TURN OFF THE OVEN.

Starting in center spread sour cream mixture over cheesecake, spread till you are within a half inch from sides. Return pan to oven and bake 5 more minutes.Cool on counter and then when it is cool enough refrigerate at least 8 hrs. uncovered.To serve, run a knife along the sides of pan then release spring form. Spread cherries over the top and you have the prettiest best tasting cheesecake ever!


2 comments:

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Joan, thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you liked the story of La Llorona. I love your cheesecake. That looks so delicious. I think I'll make it this weekend. You say you live in San Antonio. There is a great foodie buddy that lives there. Gloria Chadwick. Her blog is cookbookcuisine.blogspot.com. Maybe you guys can get together sometime. Wish I could join you.

Lauren said...

Well this cheesecake is the best hands down! Work would like you to make one :) lol especially kirsty!! Love you!