3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Cucumber Salad

I realize that I am probably gonna lose some lookers by that title. I promise ya though, if ya try it, your gonna like it. This is great next to a big bbq brisket sandwich. I actually like it as a nice change from cole slaw sometimes. The key to this is to let the marinade do its magic. I put it in the fridge and I find myself grabbing a couple of pieces of cucumber out just passing through the kitchen. There always seemed to be someone bringing this everytime we had a family get together because it was usually pot luck and well, we are southern.


Cucumber Salad

3 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 large green bell pepper (Just for color I added half of a green and half of a red)
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar

1. Combine cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, celery seeds and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temp. 1 hr.
3. Drain cucumber mixture in a colander, shaking off excess liquid. Return mix to bowl.

4. Add vinegar and sugar, toss gently. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 hours to overnight. The salad may be stored in fridge up to 3 weeks.

It seems the longer it sits, the more it tastes like a crunchy, crispy bread and butter pickle!
This is what you will need. Just this looks good.
Just mix the chopped veggies in a big bowl.
Put the celery seeds and sugar over it and let it sit.

After all the marinade is on, I just keep it in a jar. It just keeps on getting better.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I love cucumber salad! My grandma used to make this for potluck's all the time during the summer with fresh cukes from her garden!
Thank you for stopping by my blog and since your girls are older I may be asking for some advice on what's ahead!!

Tina Butler said...

Hi Joan, I love cumcumber salad as well. I just bought some big quart size jars for canning some apple pie filling. I still have plenty left. I am going to make some of the salad up and add it to the jars for my Mother in law and grandmother they love this salad. Glad you back.