3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grandmas Lemon Bars

Happy Hump Day everyone! I hope everyone is staying warm, we had a really big cold front blow in yesterday and the wind was absolutelyfrigid. We got to use our fireplace all evening and it was very cozy. Did all of you get your granola bars from Foodbuzz? I've only tried the cashew one and it was heavenly. I am going to have an official taste testing with my girls in the next couple of days and let you know the results. The recipe I am sharing with you today is near and dear to my heart. It is one that I have had my entire childhood. My maternal grandma all ways had these on her table and she would cut them into tiny squares and we would have coffee with them. I can picture my little knuckle-y hand grandma patting the crust down with her lips curled in. I get a little misty about it because those days were so sweet and we cant recover them. I have a pyrex pan that we all know as the "lemon bar pan". When my girls are helping me they know I always use that pan. I got this dish when I got married almost 23 years ago. It has seen many, many lemon bars. I hope you enjoy this recipe and feel the love with which I am sharing....


Its got a simple list of ingredients.
Sift together powdered sugar and flour, cut in the butter.

It will be crumbly like this.

Pat this into the bottom of your pan. Whichever one you feel works. This is not a 13x9 like it calls for, its a little smaller, but its our lemon bar pan.

While the crust is baking, beat your eggs.
Add your sugar. Okay, these photos are black and white because my daughter is helping me and experimenting with her camera. Kinda neat.


Add the lemon juice.

Whisk in the remaining flour.

Pour over baked crust.

Bake this for an additional 25 minutes.Cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut in squares. Sorry Grandma, my portion size is out of control. Send help.



Lemon Bars Deluxe





2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour

1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 cup butter

4 beaten eggs

2 cups sugar

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/2 tsp. baking powder


Sift 2 cups flour and powdered sugar. Cut in butter until mixture clings together. Press into a 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until browned. Beat together eggs, granulated sugar, and lemon juice. Sift together remaining remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder. Stir into egg mixture and pour over baked crust. Bake at 350 degrees for an additional 25 minutes. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar. Cut into small squares after cooling.

1 comment:

Tina Butler said...

Yummy Joan I love lemon bars. Thank you for sharing your recipe.