3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pecan Cobbler-Oh! So Sweet!

Happy Sunday everyone! I havent been able to post too much on account I have been so busy. I think I am finally done shopping. I am one of the weird ones that doesnt really mind the crowds. I think its because I love people watching. I can go to the mall and get a cup of coffee and sit there and watch people for hours.
Last weekend my husband and I and our friends Priscilla and Ron got up very very early and went to College Station, Texas to watch a dear friend of ours daughter graduate from Texas A&M. I graduated high school with Shelly and my husband and I babysat her beautiful baby girl Megan when she was an infant. Now, she has a Bachelor Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. Jeesh. I am so proud of her even though I cant believe that I am that old! After the ceremony a large group of us went to a restaurant there in College Station, a wonderful steakhouse (I had my usual, chicken fried steak). For dessert my husband and I split a pecan cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Well, I couldnt quite get over it so when I got home that evening I had to make one. I have never made one before and this certainly will not be the last time. BEWARE: It is very sweet. I am a fan of almost any cobbler but I have to say, the ones with a real crust are just my favorite. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Pecan Cobbler
2 1/2 cups light corn syrup
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups pecans coarsely chopped
Cobbler Crust:
1 cup oat flour (1 cup oatmeal processed to a fine powder)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 inch pan with non stick spray. In a large bowl, mix together, syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs until well combined. Pour 1/3 of this filling mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Add pecans to remaining mixture and set aside.
In a medium bowl mix the flours and salt. Cut cold butter into small pieces and add flours. Combine with a fork or pastry cutter. Add cold water a little at a time until dough forms and sticks together. Place on a lightly floured surface, knead a little and roll out into a 13x9 square. Place this on top of filling mixture in the pan. Pour remaining filling (with pecans) on top of dough. Bake 50 minutes until center starts to set. Cool about 20 minutes.


Pecan Pie is my mothers specialty and this does taste similiar to a pecan pie. Its very good but I think it is probably a holiday recipe only at our house. I think it would be better to also cut this recipe in half. This makes a good sized pan and serves alot of people because you cant eat a very big piece.

These are your ingredients.

This is the filling after you have put the first 1/3 in the pan. This is after the pecans are added.

Work the flours and salt together with water to make your dough. This is made with the oat flour and it really gives it a different taste. It is super tasting.

This is the dough as I am trying to make a square!

After placing your dough square (or squarish) add the filling with the pecans.

The baked cobbler, oh my, oh my.

Get a load of that crust in there. My very favorite part.

5 comments:

priscilla joy said...

this looks so good! yummy. sounds like a fun day!

Tina Butler said...

Joan I have never had that. That OHMYGOODNESS I gotta make this.

NuKiwi said...

We are having some friends over this coming weekend and I'm gonna try this one. It looks divine!

If mine looks as nice as yours, I'll likely post it on my site too (giving you full credit, of course). I have several Kiwi & Aussie friends who would love to try this one.

Thanks. :o)

NuKiwi said...

BRILLIANT - EVERYONE LOVED IT (of course). Pecans and corn syrup are very tough to get your hands on here, but I managed to get both and this was a rare treat for our friends and ourselves.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Tiff

Unknown said...

ssd固態硬碟 外接式硬碟 餐飲設備 製冰機 洗碗機 咖啡機 冷凍冷藏冰箱 蒸烤箱 External Storage Solid State Drives 關島機加酒 關島婚禮 關島蜜月 花蓮民宿 彈簧床 床墊 獨立筒床墊 乳膠床墊 床墊工廠 巴里島旅遊 巴里島spa推薦 巴里島機票 巴里島行程推薦 記憶體 情趣用品 情趣用品USB Flash DrivesMemory Cards 產後護理之家 月子中心 坐月子中心 坐月子 月子餐 投資美國物業 美國租金報酬 美國房屋買賣 房地產投資說明會 美國房地產 美國置產須知 美國房屋物件 SD記憶卡 隨身碟 高雄當舖 高雄汽車借款 高雄機車借款 高雄房屋二胎貸款 高雄汽機車免留車