3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Gettin' ready for Thanksgiving!

I have something special to post today. I wanted to share with you part of our Thanksgiving meal. This really is a small part but its so important. My husband and girls and I really plan this meal out. And I mean for days. We always have the traditional dishes that most people in the South have. But the best part for mopping up the gravy is the rolls. These rolls are absolutely the best I have ever had. They are so light and so tasty you probably need a double batch.
Once we eat we all talk about how full we are and then we watch some football and then we go back and eat again. Slice these little buns up put in a little leftover turkey and dressing and you have a perfect snack. Enjoy!

Buttery Butterhorns

1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)

1. Dissolve yeast and 1 tbsp. sugar in warm water in small bowl.
2. Combine eggs, 1/2 cup melted butter, salt and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl. Beat well. Add yeast mixture to egg mixture. Stir in 3 cups flour and beat with a wooden spoon. Quickly work in remaining 1 /2 cups flour. Dough will be quite soft. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnite.
3. Divide dough into 4 sections. On a lightly floured surface, roll each section into a 12-14 inch circle. Brush each section with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Cut each round into 8 wedges. Roll up starting at the large end and shape into crescents. Place on a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place about 2 hrs.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Makes about 32 rolls.

There you have it. The best little rolls you will ever find!

1 comment:

Tina Butler said...

I love homeade bread and rolls. I will try this over the holiday. Thats all i do durning the holiday is eat, watch tv and eat some more. Ü