3 girls, me, and a recipe

Welcome! I hope you enjoy reading about the passions in my life, my family, cooking, gardening, my pets and making memories that my girls will pass on to their children.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

WHITE Texas Sheet Cake!

Hi ya'll. I think everyone I know in this area has had a chocolate sheet. If your southern you have probably seen a chocolate sheet cake at every family potluck or wedding and usually have all the ingredients to whip one up at all times. I know I do. I think every southern blog on here has a post about it. I know I do. In fact, its probably the first thing all of us think about when we see the words chocolate cake. I know I do. Okay, enough of that. I must say when I came across this recipe last week I was intrigued to say the least. It was late. Way too late to mess up the kitchen again. I had on my jammies. I couldn't resist. I went and messed up my kitchen anyway. This cake is really very moist, buttery, and tastes sinful (in a really good way). If your not a huge chocolate fan (what??!) you will enjoy this nice change from the traditional sheet cake. It is definately worth trying and worth all the butter!Here are your ingredients that you will need. Except the water.

Melt the butter in with the water and bring to a boil.

Remove from heat and whisk in your dry ingredients...




Then your eggs, sour cream, and vanilla....

until smoothish.



Spread in your greased pan. You can already tell this cake is rich and buttery.


When its done, a pick will come out clean and it will look toasty.

While its cooling, brew some coffee and make frosting.
Peets coffee, Major Dickasons Blend is my new passion.

Melt butter in with milk, bring to a boil.


Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla. See that small brown dot?
Thats the vanilla.

After whipping that into a smoothness we only dream about. Add pecans.
Mix well.

Spread over your cake that has been cooling 20 minutes.
AAAHHH. I had mine with coffee. My daughter had the sparkling grape juice.
Sweetness!



White Texas Sheet Cake
1 c. butter
1 c. water
2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 t. vanilla or almond extract
Frosting
Bring butter and water to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla or almond extract until smooth. Pour into a 15 x 10 inch greased baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until a pick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Spread with frosting.
Frosting:
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. milk
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla or almond extract
1 c. chopped nuts
Combine butter and milk in a saucepan, cook over low heat until butter melts. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add nuts.
Hope your enjoy!!









No comments: